From Cooking on a budget ;
“Cod has become one of my favorite fish. The fish is all white and meaty with a mild flavor. So far I have used the loin and baked it and pan seared it. Today we picked up a large filet on sale and I poached it in a seafood sauce recipe my mother had concocted years and years ago for blue crabs.
I thought it would pair well with the sauce and I was right. The fish lent a hint of flavoring to the sauce, yet the sauce did not over power the fish. It all came together – the fish, the sauce and the rice providing a delicate yet tasty sensation in each bite.
The filet we purchased was really large so I cut it into three pieces and that’s how I am basing the cost is feeding three. For the cod, sauce and rice it came to $9.84, feeds three for $3.28 each.
The other plus to Poached Cod in Seafood sauce is that you can have this meal ready in 45 minutes.”
You can find more recipes for Cooking on a budget by clicking HERE
- 1 1/4 lbs. Cod filet
For the Seafood Sauce:
- 1 large green bell pepper – seeds removed and sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion – sliced
- 2 small cans tomato sauce
- 3/4 can of water (use the tomato sauce can for measurement)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. fresh garlic – finely minced
- 1½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Season the cod on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a deep skillet (that has a lid), and over moderate heat melt the butter and olive oil. I use the combination of butter and olive oil due to the fact that the olive oil has a higher smoking point and to have less “fat” in the dish.
- When the butter and olive oil are melted, add in the sliced onions and peppers and garlic. Allow them to cook down and soften a touch. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the tomato sauce, water and all of the dried spices. Stir and pop the lid on. Allow this to cook for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust for seasonings. If you feel the sauce has come together and is full of flavor, you add in the cod.
- Spoon sauce over the cod and allow to poach in the liquid for 20 minutes, turning once during the cooking process and coat the second side with the sauce.
- Serve over white rice.