- A adaption of Mary Berrys recipe
- 4 large eggs
- 100 g caster sugar
- 65 g self-raising flour
- 40 g cocao powder
For the chocolate icing and topping:
- 275 g dark chocolate, break into small pieces
- 450 ml double cream
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Grease and line a baking sheet or square cake tin with baking papert,
2. For the sponge, place the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl. whisk the mixture until it is pale, light and frothy.
3. Sieve the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl and carefully fold in to the egg mixture,
4. Pour in to the lined tin and spread out into the corners. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 8-10 minutes until pale golden
5. Place a piece of baking paper bigger than the Swiss roll sprinkle icing suager on the paper turn the cake on to the paper and peel away the baking parchment. that you cooked it on.
6. Roll up the swiss roll using the paper, rolling it up with the paper inside. Set aside to cool.
7. While the cake is cooling, make the icing. Melt the chocolate and 300ml of the cream in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Refrigerate until cool and thickened. Whip the remaining cream.
8. Uncurl the cold Swiss roll and remove the paper. Spread a third of the icing over the surface then spread the whipped cream on top, and re-roll tightly.
9. spread the chocolate icing covering the cake completely make bark lines with a fork Cover each end with icing
10. Dust with icing sugar